04 September 2005

A GRIMM Evening

At long last, I got to spend an evening with my beloved Lagemae. Aren't they pretty?

We had dinner at Bar Louie, which, for a chain, I think is pretty good. Apparently it's only when I leave New York do I break my prohibition against eating in chain restaurants.

After dinner, we hustled across the street and saw The Brothers Grimm. I have to say, I rather enjoyed it, though not without qualifications. I'm giving Terry Gilliam major bonus points for toning down his usual visual craziness to a level that is still exciting and interesting without being overwhelming. My biggest problem with the film was Matt Damon, who I just ultimately didn't buy as Will Grimm. In his defense, I should point out that he was being upstaged by Heath Ledger, who was doing a Johnny-Depp-as-Captain-Jack-Sparrow dance as Jakob Grimm, but only sometimes. When he got excited. I think I liked it.

The best part of the experience, though, was having the time with the Lagemae. There's never enough of that. So do me this favor: Call up the person(s) who get you through the hard times, who make(s) you laugh just by looking at you, who serve(s) as your Gibraltar, and make plans to hang out. Let them know how much you need them.

No comments: