16 October 2005

A Filet of a Weekend

I had a rather delicious weekend, and managed not to miss my home computer at all, suprisingly enough.

I spent Friday evening doing a reading of Topher's play, and that seemed to go extremely well. The audience seemed to enjoy themselves. I wonder what the next step will be for the play. It's a really polished piece, and I think it deserves a production somewhere.

After the reading, some of the cast and audience members went to the Irish Rogue, a great pub on West 44th Street -- practically next door to the Producer's Club, where the reading was held. Most of the people we were hanging out with were, in some way, connected to Topher's alma mater, Washington & Lee University. A couple of them were students who were on a whirlwind trip to NYC. All in all, 'twas a lovely evening.

Saturday evening, I got to have my long-awaited reunion with Doug and Janet (and a couple of other friends, like Mitch and Wayne and Kathy). We went to see The Squid and the Whale, which was one of the most difficult things I've watched in quite a while... in a good way. It was like watching every uncomfortable family moment anyone's ever had on the screen right there in the movie theater. The cast was great, particularly Jeff Daniels as the father. They were all great, actually. Geez. Talk about dysfunction. The way these people talk -- all of them -- is hilarious and unbelievable. The title of this post is a reference to the movie. Once I get my nerve, I'm gonna go see it again. Hopefully I wont be as embarrassed for them the second time around.

On Sunday, I lazed around like a fat cat, and eventually roused myself to climb up on the roof (don't tell my landlord) to get some pictures of the rather incredible sunset. After the seven or eight days of rain, Saturday and Sunday were such a blessing. There were some seriously strong winds, and I was especially careful not to get anywhere near the edge of the rooftop. I'm brave and foolish, but heights still freak me out a bit -- when I'm on something connected to the ground. Hence my lack of problems with jumping out of airplanes.

Even better, though, I got to spend the evening at the Total Wine Bar. Adam, the owner, wasn't there, but Greg and Ryan and a number of the regulars, including Celestine, were all there. So it was great.

There was a weird moment late in the evening when this guy who was obviously squiffed from his time at some other bar, came in to use the rest room, and ended up tripping all over these women that were sitting along the bar on the way back to the loo. Greg and Ryan finally asked him to leave, which he did, but he came back later and had to be coaxed out again.

The second time, he loomed ominously over Celestine, and wanted to pay her bar tab, but Greg was having none of it, and Ryan finally told the guy that if he didn't leave, he was going to have to call the police. As you can imagine, that didn't set well with the drunk guy. He said to Ryan, "I'm going to leave, but I want you to remember this."

What does that mean?

Anywho, I happened to be surfing Friendster today, and it's got a new feature called "Who's Viewed Me?" A guy who looks suspiciously like the drunk guy was checking out my profile. I hope, in his drunken memory, he's not confusing me with Ryan and plotting his revenge.

'Cuz I will so go all Charles Bronson on his ass.


No comments: