11 November 2005

Copious Craptacular Concupiscence

I haven't been posting as much lately for a couple of reasons. First, and I know you'll forgive me this, but I've been a little distracted since my dad's death. Second, my computer is still on the fritz, and since I don't have computer access outside of work -- save for time spent at the local library -- there's less time to blog.

I just don't feel kosher doing it from work.

So, as a way of catching up on the hodge-podge that's been in my head for much of the last week, some interesting (to me) stuff:


(1.) Click on this photo, and then feel free to report me for indecency.

(2.) I'm not sure how I feel about the ending of this past week's episode of Lost. Of all the people I thought were going to bite it, I thought that the writers and producers kinda chickened out by killing off Shannon.

I mean, what's up with that? They kept promising that a major character was going to bite it, but I don't frankly think of her as being that "major." Actually, I thought she was really underdeveloped.

If you promise a major character's going to die, then make it a major character, dammit.

Shannon, much as I was loving her evolution into a not-as-hateful brat, didn't seem to me a major character, since she never gets the backstory treatment that the others have gotten.

Can't wait to see the effect this has on Sayid, though.

(3) Another in the long list of Hollywood hotties who aren't my husband.

This is Kevin Connelly. He plays "Eric" on HBO's Entourage, a show that I got hooked on while I was in Pittsburgh and actually had cable.

Now that I'm back in New York, I have to live without, but somehow I'll get by... or maybe I'm just gonna have to finally sign up for cable TV before it comes back for a third season.

(4) As you might suspect, I spent much of this week ruminating about my father. Digging through old photos, reminiscing about the past. A couple of favorites:






(4) I noted, with interest, that Downfall is coming to DVD soon. If you haven't seen it, you should. It's really a pretty remarkable film. Watching Hitler's last days is like watching a train wreck in progress, and being unable to stop it. Or not wanting to. What the film does best is paint portraits of the people around him, leaving you wondering at their gullibility -- at the ability of people in general not to see what's right (or reich) before their eyes.

Bruno Ganz is absolutely mesmerizing; frightening and crazy, pathetic and loving, weird and commanding all at the same time. If you haven't, you should see it soon.

(5) Peter Jackson's take on King Kong is coming out soon, so the hype around All Things Kong is gonna be "ginormous," as my friend Mr. J likes to say. Of note, in all the bother, is the fact that Warner Bros. is releasing the original movie on video soon, too. It ought to be something to compare the two. I have to admit that some of the CGI stuff in the new film (at least as it was rendered for the trailer) looked a little cheesy to me. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and wish Peter Jackson well, and hope for the best.

No comments: