06 April 2007

God Bless.

I'm settling into the new job, and it's feeling good.

There have been some mis-steps, but for the most part it's going well. My new role as "manager" has me exposed to all sorts of people I didn't meet when I was a temporary, and it's interesting. The people with whom I interacted a lot when I was a flunkie (flunky? I prefer the former, even if it's wrong) seem to think of me still as one, but the people who I've met only in my capacity as a, in the words of my boss, "less reactive, more proactive," employee seem to have no trouble at all running on the assumption that I know what I'm doing, that I know my own mind and, even if it's not entirely the way things may have been done in the past, I might have an idea worthy of consideration.

This is not to say that the people I've worked with all along are in any way resistant or obstructive, just that I think they're a little taken aback to discover that there's a lot more going on in my head than that to which they might have been privy before.

It's interesting.


Tonight I am footloose and fancy-free, 'cuz Himself is getting into study mode. Exams loom, friends.

So I'm off the leash, as it were. And, it being Good Friday, The Velvet Prison was abandoned by the goalers, so I was unleashed upon the unsuspecting city a wee bit early. I walked over to the Apple Store to get some replacement earbuds.

The place was an unadulterated madhouse. I've never seen anything like it. You'd have thought it was the day before Christmas, or something. Apparently, the way we can best commemorate the death (and impending resurrection) of our Lord and Savior is to worship at the Alter of Commerce.

Since the night yawned ahead of me, boyfriendless, I decided to walk back across the park and catch up on a movie I'd missed and Fozz had no desire to see.

Suckage!

Actually, it wasn't that bad, but my reaction to it can't help but have been affected by all the press surrounding it. Frankly, there wasn't a single Persian-looking person in the film until the bitter end, when a plainly Persian fellow stands in as the emissary of Xerxes the (hee hee) God King.

Oy.

Anyway, it was at least interesting 'cuz I saw it in IMAX. That's actually a bogus claim, yo. It's not IMAX, since it's not in a dome and projected around you in a 180° arc; it's technically "large format," whatever their advertising might claim.

Still, some of the blood droplets were as big as my head, and though it's usually a rule I apply to eating, I'm always wary of anything as big as my head.

All in all, an okay evening.

Tomorrow, Fozz and I are going to see a friend of a friend play guitar and lute in a recital. It sounds like a fun and unusual date. Heaven forfend we should fall into a rut, especially in a city as crazy chock-full of culture as this one.

Life, friends, is pretty good.

No comments: