08 January 2008

Back in the Dating Pool

Hard for me to believe that it's been over six months since I broke up with Fozzie.

It didn't really start out this way, but the summer and autumn of last year really turned into a period of self-imposed celibacy. It was inspired, I think, by a combination of being over men in general and trying to sort out for myself what – if it wasn't going to be Fozzie, who was a perfectly lovely guy – it was that I wanted out of a relationship.

So I mulled. For a long time.

Now I'm not exactly certain that I have the answer to that question, but I've distilled the options a little, and so I've been kinda putting myself back out there, in as unobtrusive a way as possible.

Apparently my mojo is back, now that I'm actually concentrating on it. I've been on dates with, like, four different guys in the last month, which is more than I'd dated in the year before Fozzie and I'd started dating.

This weekend, I've got my third date with one. He's nice. Interesting story:

I went back to Pittsburgh last Thanksgiving, right? I went back a little earlier, mostly to see my mom after her knee-replacement surgery, but also to see the world premiere of Amsy Dane's play. This is a play that, at various times over the years, she's claimed she wrote for me and about me. In any case, there was a character she's always envisioned me playing. It would be erroneous to suggest the character was based on me; it's more like everything he says is pretty much ripped off from my mouth. Okay, that's not entirely true, but let's just say that the character was inspired by yours truly.

Anyway, I went back to Pittsburgh early to see this play in its world premiere. Apparently, it's impossible to cast me in Pittsburgh if you can't get me (I'm retired, remember, and live far, far away), so they had to cast a guy out of New York to be me.

Turns out he's cute.

Don't worry, I'm every bit as freaked out as you are that I think someone playing me is cute.

Anyway, I met The Actor after the show and he was really nice, but there didn't seem to be any interest on his part. No eyeballs from across the room, or flirty behavior or anything.

So I just assumed he wasn't that into me.

Cut to a week later, the day after Thanksgiving. Kenjiman and I are attending the opening of This Wonderful Life at The Pittsburgh Public Theater, and 'lo, but who should be there? The Actor.

Turns out that his show, being done at a college's resident professional theater, is off for the holiday, and he and his costar decided to catch this show and go to the opening night party. The same party Kenjiman and I have been invited to attend.

Suffice it to say that The Actor A.Pants (yes, we're going to call him "A.Pants") and I met up at the party and hit it off. We chatted, we joked, we flirted. He invited me to go out after the party with his costar as they hopped bars.

Unfortunately, I was the designated driver for a bunch of tea-tottling non-drivers, so the best I could do was agree to meet up with The Actor and Co. after I'd dropped my parties off at their domicile(s). Alas, we'd already committed to visiting the home of one of my friends' friends, so my catching up with them would be delayed.

Until 2 a.m.

We kinda got stuck at my friends' friend's place, so I assumed that I'd lost out on my chance with A.Pants. Until, that is, I got a text message the next morning (sent, amazingly, at 3:30 a.m.) which, translated, said, "You blew me off. It's okay. You should still call me when I get back to NYC."

I texted back immediately asking if he had plans for that evening, and if he'd let me take him to dinner.

He didn't and he did.

So this weekend we're going on our third date. I'm looking forward to it.

Who knew dating could be fun?

No comments: