20 March 2008

A Little Change

Anyone who's accompanied me as I've traveled through midtown Manhattan while toting a camera knows that I have an inexplicable obsession with The Velvet Prison. The building, not the company. Although, sometimes the company, too.

But wherein the camera is concerned, I don't seem to be able to stop photographing that big ol' pile of glass and steel.

I've been using the same photo for a very long time, so I thought I'd try to get a new one.

As I've been traveling to work incarceration the last few weeks, I've been keeping an eye out for a combination of light and clouds that I found interesting (as a side note: I've discovered that, when the sky is completely clouded over, it's obvious why people think the building is ugly. It gets all slate gray and monolithic-looking; not at all attractive).

Anyway, last week I came up out of the subway just as the sun was clearing the buildings on the eastern side of the park, and there were just enough clouds reflected in the plate glass to make it interesting. What I didn't realize was what was happening on the side of the building (the atrium of the shops in the building) that faces Columbus Circle.

Needless to say, it's a happy accident that I got a new picture to use when referring to The Velvet Prison. But I'm just not sure how the fact that I caught it completely by accident reflects on the vaunted photographer's "eye" about which my friends opine.

No comments: