I'm either seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, or an on-rushing train. I'd hoped to have my computer back in my possession yesterday, but alas, that's not happening. Nor am I getting it back today.
As it turned out, the problem with the computer is (or, rather, was) my RAM memory, which had somehow gone bad (can you say "lightening strike?"), and in replacing it, I decided to upgrade to 1 gig from my former 512 MB. This involves, apparently, a rebate of $50, and the guy who's doing the work claims that the computer's all done, but he's waiting for the rebate paperwork. Otherwise, I have to pay the extra $50, and submit the paperwork myself. If I let him fill it out, then I get the rebate instantly and he gets to wait for the moo-lah.
I'm trying not to be suspicious.
Sadly, if this isn't all transacted by tomorrow, I have to wait 'til next week for my computer, since his shop is only open from 1-3 on Friday (damn those Orthodox Jews!), is closed over the weekend, and I have to rehearse 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. tomorrow and Friday.
Obviously, I'm gonna eat the $50 and submit the paperwork myself. There's no freakin' way I'm doing without my computer for the whole weekend!